19/09/2023

meandering through the cevennes to sablet

TIME TO BRING THIS OUTGOING TO FULFILMENT I think you will agree, and to get to where we are going. But even at this fourth stage we cannot resist meandering a bit, taking in favourite bits of the Cevennes… otherwise why would we have overnighted at Millau?


So out of Millau we proceed, doing what I projected we would do, (back in an earlier post) to breakfast at Le Caylar. Then, by tried and tested (if not exactly familiar) byways, avoiding sheep, to Vissec, to give Dr G a taste of our fondness for the place, she wanted a stroll around. As quiet as usual, although one or two camper vans down by the riverbed (dry). Very little has altered, at least in the old bit, the centre, around the church, and that's the bit we know, have stayed in and appeciated; no idea much about the newer bit.

But the main feature of this meander was Navacelles of course and there, there were a few more visitors about given the extended summer still going on. I am informed that Navacelles has an 's' at it's end but I am in no frame of mind to bother changing it on the montage below, just now, if ever.

We had a very pleasant potter about the outskirts of the hamlet, now fringed with discreet parking areas and that sort of thing… >sigh< … I expect you have to, but Mme M and your author could not help reflecting on our first visit here last century (and even subsequent visits, with the offspring) when we had the location to ourselves, there was no particular facilitation, and we could bathe in the river unheeded. Couldn't do that now (or at least, you'd not catch me doing it). There was even traffic going down to Navacelles and, damn it,  going up the other side! And down!! It was pretty warm and all.

Did we sandwich [v.] on this last leg? I honestly can't remember, but I think we must have done. [no, we failed on this front for once I am reliably informed] I know we stopped for refreshment at St Victor-de-la-Coste, just to check that the café there had got its 2023 Routard sticker (which it had) so we felt we could risk liquid refreshment there at least (lunch was over). After that it was hardly more than a moment to wind our way through the last bits, cross the Rhône into Vaucluse, (see snap below looking back the way we've just come) and thus to Sablet, where all was in order (if you ignore the loss of my favourite kitchen knife) and rather hotter than we expected. I shorted [v.] with immediate effect: I had been open toeing [v.] from stage 2 onwards… We fulfilled the brief…… 

Nine hundred and fifty-one miles from Roscoff. Yes, I do note the mileage covered, want to make some point about that, do you? If you did, well at least I would know you've read this to the end… I am given to doubting the loyalty of my readership at times, and that's the truth… but if you have been, thanks for your esteemed attention.

The sheep pictures are included with the kind permission of Mme M, who snapped les moutons just after Le Caylar.