01/04/2023

snake oil chip in

My plan to transfer the bare bones of my personal day-to-day log into the format of this post has hitherto not kick-started my enthusiasm this far into the spring of ’23. I realise that there may be those, a handful at best, who have been impatiently waiting to get on with their lives, fortified by the anecdotes and observations revealed in the latest Driving on the Right posting. They have looked in vain, up to now that is. And even now, I can’t promise anything startling or even remotely of pivotal interest. I’ve conveyed the excellence of my CEO’s regular offerings before: she leaves barely a crumb of intrigue for your author to hang a tale upon, embellish and pontificate around.

Hot news right now (at this minute: 10:25, 14 April)) is a delivery of 500 litres of domestic heating oil — the first we’ve bought here in Sabbers since 22 March 2018… but it doesn’t really grab you as a topic does it, even at the eye watering price per litre we are compelled to expend here in France, where TVA (or VAT if you prefer) is still substantially more than back in Blightey. I can’t quote you figures for comparison right now (you'll be relieved to hear) but the PPL ici is almost double that quoted by Boilerjuice (who stay in daily contact to try and get me to fill the Bullsmead tanks). Thank heavens our use of the stuff in the République is frugal. That on-end doughnut thing in the corner of our garage (see illustration herewith) is what we keep our oil in. The chalk marks record the extent of the 500 litres: the tank holds 1500 max. Incidentally, there is a plan in Fr to phase out all domestic oil use in less than ten years time, replacing it with lovely clean electricity. Fat chance most folk opine! 

OK, the log idea is stillborn. Instead I’ll try and do an odd feature occasioned by this stay, to endeavour to placate those who want my guts for garters for wasting even a few seconds of their precious internet time seeking the low-down, from this source at any rate, concerning Spring in Sablet 2023… Or whatever I can think of to give a title to the nonsense dribbling from the keyboard of your delinquent author.

Not that much of note has occured, mind you. Small potatoes generally. I’m afraid we have camera problems, both. We sport the same models which have developed what we fear are terminal malfunctions: Mary’s screen images tremble and skip. My telephoto won’t retract without manual assistance and the images I secure tend to be somewhat OOF (out of focus) right field. I concede that our phones, pads and ipod-touch are doing a better image capturing job this time round, but they lack respectable telephoto capacity (you’ll know all this I expect, and be up to speed with the latest superior three lens smarts, but you know my views about the right tool for the job, contracts, prices of phones etc. so I won’t trundle that one out again here, just now).

So it looks as though we might aspire to be in the market for new kit before the year is out, one of us, or both, if finance can be found… a big if with the price of oil (and everything) being what it is…… etc etc.

Could we crowd-fund some of this? I believe it's all the rage! I mean, how would you feel about ‘chipping in’ so that we can get us vital box-brownies replacement aspiration on the agenda ?

Hmm… just as I thought… not even worth a try, was it?